Here at Glee Gum, we love to celebrate. New gum flavors, old gum flavors, birthdays, holidays, Fridays– there’s always a worthy cause! This year, we’re excited to incorporate more eco-friendly ideas into our festivities.
Our pals Lynn Colwell and Corey Colwell-Lipson of Celebrate Green have lots of great tips. This nifty mother and daughter duo are the co-authors of Celebrate Green! Creating Eco-Savvy Holidays, Celebrations and Traditions for the Whole Family, available at www.CelebrateGreen.net.
Here are some of their suggestions:
* If you are giving gifts, make them earth-friendly. Potted plants make great centerpieces and can be given away.
* Provide drinks in pitchers, punch bowls or glass bottles. Avoid disposable cups and plates.
* Have your party early enough in the day so that lights are not necessary. If you use decorative lighting, ensure that it is LED or solar.
* Serve filtered tap water. It’s so easy to hit one of the big box stores and pick up cartons of water if you’re hosting a picnic or barbecue, but you can save money and the planet when you choose to drink and serve filtered tap water instead.
* If you have leftovers, compost, send home with guests or donate if you can. Unopened bags, boxes and cans can be taken to a local food bank.
* Consider having your party or celebration benefit a local cause. Invite guests to bring books for local book drives, coats for a coat drive, school supplies or whatever else your local community needs.
* Clean up with eco-friendly products and be sure to place recycling bins where guests will use them.
Thanks for the suggestions, ladies! As a mascot, I am contractually obligated to mention that Glee Gum also makes a swell party favor. Wee Glee is big fun at baby showers, and Mini Glee Gum makes wedding guests grin.
So, what are you waiting for? Let’s party!